From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xfce woes
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 05:16:56
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 00:00 on Thursday 03 February 2011, walt did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On 02/02/2011 11:23 AM, John wrote:
5 > > I have recently upgraded to xfce 4.8
6 > > All seems to be well apart from
7 > > a) Normal Users cannot shutdown
8 > > b) Normal Users cannot automount using xfce (can through sudo mount).
9 >
10 > I understand very well your frustration because my gnome desktop goes
11 > through periods where those things work, and then for some time they
12 > don't work, etc, ad infinitum.
13 >
14 > As much as I like the convenience of automounting as a luser, all of
15 > my bofh instincts cry out that lusers shouldn't even be allowed to log
16 > into my system, much less actually mount(!?!) a filesystem!
17 >
18 > This is one of those Windows/convenience versus unix/security things,
19 > I think, but I'm just an amateur bofh.
20 >
21 > What do you professional bofhs think?
22
23 Depends on what the machine is used for.
24
25 For a multiuser box, you probably want user to not shutdown/reboot, be able to
26 mount removeable media and nfs shares, not mount fixed disks.
27
28 For a terminal server serving thin clients, you likely want users to not be
29 able to do any of that on the server.
30
31 For a single user workstation, the sole user should be able to do all of it.
32
33 Perhaps yourself and the maintainer writing the template config disagree on
34 the basic purpose of the machine in question.
38 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com