From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Permissions of files in /sys/
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 17:44:07
1 Momesso Andrea wrote:
2 > I'd like to make the file /sys/class/backlight/asus-laptop/brightness
3 > writeable for users, so that I don't need to be root anymore to change
4 > the brightness.
5 >
6 > Of course I can chown or chmod ot in local.start but I'm asking if there
7 > is a cleaner way.
8 >
9 > Also, are there any security risks on changing permissions on /sys
10 > files?
13 > TopperH
14 >
15 > ===========================
16 > Momesso Andrea
17 > http://topperh.blogspot.com
18 > ===========================
21 I have never did this but since /sys is populated during bootup,
22 anything you change by hand will not survive a reboot. I would think
23 you would have to find out what creates the file and then get it to
24 create it with the permissions you want. I'm not sure but could udev be
25 doing this?
26
27 I'm not sure about the security concerns but I do see why having a user
28 being able to adjust the brightness would be a good idea. I wonder why
29 it is set up the way it is?
30
31 Dale
32