From: Marc Blumentritt <marc.blumentritt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: genkernel vs kernel manual compilation
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 09:09:45
1 Arnau Bria schrieb:
2 > 4.-) mkinitrd initrm.2.6.21 2.6.21-gentoo-r4
3 > 5.-) Edited menu.lst (just copied genkernel entry and modified to my
4 > new bzimage and initram files)
5 >
6 > but my new kernel did not start, and gave me a kernel panic...
7 >
8 > So I wonder what differences could be between my compilation and
9 > genkernel one...
10
11 As far as I understand genkernel, the only real difference is the making
12 of the initrd. Genkernel pulls in some modules defined by it's default
13 configuration. So if your system needs these modules to boot, and your
14 "manual" build of the initrd does not include these modules, your kernel
15 will not boot.
16
17 Did you ever try to find out, which modules your system needs? If you
18 build these drivers into your kernel and not as modules, everything
19 should work.
22 Another mistake often made are spelling and copy & paste errors. For
23 example you are writing at under point 4 "initrm.2.6.21". Did you mean
24 "initrd.2.6.21"?
27 Regards,
28 Marc
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list