From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Inconsistent mountpoint for /
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 00:53:12
1 On 07/10/2009 05:16 PM, lngndvs@×××××.com wrote:
2 > I recently reported that I am suffering random reboots. I have now
3 > discovered an inconsistency in the reporting of the mount point of the
4 > root directory of my Gentoo install...
5
6 No, the two are not related. In my experience, anything that goes wrong
7 at random times is related to hardware flakiness -- usually because some
8 piece of the hardware is running too hot.
9
10 I happen to live in a very hot, dry, dusty place. I see random flakiness
11 just about every summer, which I fix by blowing the thick layer of dust
12 off of the CPU heatsink and RAM chips and the power supply with a can of
13 compressed gas. Of course, I also check that all of the fans in the case
14 are still working.
15
16 Do you know about memtest86? If you have random nastiness you should run
17 memtest86 at least overnight to see if your RAM is becoming senile ;o)
18
19 I have suggestions about grub also, but, to be coherent about them I need
20 to be much more awake than I am now. I'll check back tomorrow.