From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To Wifi or not to Wifi...
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 17:03:16
1 * Meino.Cramer@×××.de <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> [150728 11:28]:
2 [..SNIP..]
3 > Hi Todd,
4 >
5 > thanks for your help! :)
6 >
7 > I will to adjust the config file and see what will happen...
8 > Dont worry about the password...it is a fake one. If everything is
9 > running fine, if will choose a more random one.
10 >
11 > By the way...While tumbling down the google hole ;) I came across
12 > "hostapd" which exactly seems to be build for the purpose I want: An access point.
13 >
14 > BUT:
15 > I could not decide, what tutorial is correct:
16 > Do I still need wpa_supplicant with hostapd or
17 > Don't I neeed wpa_supplicant?
18 >
19 > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
20 > Best regards,
21 > Meino
22
23 Hi Meino,
24
25 I don't think you need wpa_supplicant if you're using hostapd (unless
26 you need to also connect to a WAP in additional to being a WAP
27 yourself, and in that case I don't know if it requires a different
28 interface to do that.)
29
30 I think wpa_supplicant is a supplicant (i.e., client only) component.
31
32 But I could be wrong and hopefully someone else will chime in with more
33 hostapd experience than I have.
34
35 Regards,
36