From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Nvidia drivers and KDE problem
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 12:55:47
1 On 26/05/13 15:14, Dale wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 26/05/13 12:12, Dale wrote:
4 >>> [...]
5 >>> The problem. After I am logged into KDE for a good while, like several
6 >>> hours to maybe a day or so, the kicker thingy at the bottom locks up
7 >>> tight. I can't switch desktops, clock stops working, can't click the K
8 >>> menu thingy either. Everything in the kicker thingy is dead as a door
9 >>> nail. I can switch desktops with the keyboard and everything else works
10 >>> in KDE just fine. I can also switch to a console too. Killing X and
11 >>> restarting it fixes it, xdm restart in my case. I don't have to reload
12 >>> drivers or restart the system.
13 >>
14 >> Hmm, something similar happens here sometimes. But not as severe. It
15 >> usually happens when I close many windows rapidly in succession, but
16 >> it's not permanent. The panel becomes responsive again after 10
17 >> seconds or so. I'm also on latest nvidia-drivers, but it was happening
18 >> with older versions too. I happened very rarely though, so it didn't
19 >> bother me enough to go investigating.
20 >>
21 >> Here's something to try out: when it happens, hit the shortcut on your
22 >> keyboard that temporarily suspends desktop effects. I don't remember
23 >> what the default shortcut for it is, as I've changed it, but it's
24 >> shown and configured in the "General" tab of "Desktop Effects" in
25 >> System Settings. See if hitting the shortcut twice to disable and then
26 >> re-enable desktop effects fixes it.
27 >
28 > Mine wasn't set at all. I set it to ctrl alt F12. Now to remember that
29 > and try it. Also, I'm using the good nvidia version right now so it
30 > won't happen right now. Maybe on the next upgrade. :/
31
32 Ctrl+Alt+F12 will probably be intercepted by the X server and switch to
33 virtual console 12. Try something like Ctrl+Shift+F12 instead (I've set
34 mine to the "My Computer" button on the keyboard though, since that
35 one's useless otherwise.)