From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Open Source Family Tree software?
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 00:05:51
1 On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Daniel Pielmeier
2 <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Mark Knecht schrieb am 30.11.2008 00:29:
4 >
5 >> It seems that
6 >> gramps is doing something sort of like this but one wonders just how
7 >> large their database is. Also, I'd hate for my wife to do a lot of
8 >> work entering a few hundred people only to find she cannot use the
9 >> gramps data with anything but gramps.
10 >
11 > Gramps has support for the GEDCOM format, which I remember was also used
12 > by another program I tried some years ago. GEDCOM is according to the
13 > gramps homepage an industry standard, so it should be possible to
14 > exchange your data with all other programs supporting this standard.
15 >
16 > http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Features
20 Cool. thanks.
21
22 I suppose she can try entering just a few names and then see if she
23 can talk to FTM.
24
25 I'm not sure any of this is important to her. Just trying to get a bit ahead.
26
27 Thanks,
28 Mark