From: Bertram Scharpf <lists@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Keyboard is dead after emerge-update
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:53:08
1 Hi,
2
3 since an emerge-update-world on my notebook the keyboard
4 does no longer respond in X. This is extremely annoying
5 because when I have xdm in rc-update, X is started right at
6 boot. I have no chance to get back to the console using
7 Ctrl-Alt-F1, and the device in unusable.
8
9 Yet, this is only a problem of the boot process. At home,
10 when I ssh into the system, I can do an
11
12 # /etc/init.d/xdm restart
13
14 and from that point on the keyboard works. It is even
15 possible to disable xdm in rc-update and start it after the
16 boot process has completed. I solved the problem temporarily
17 this way, but the problem probably is a bug and should be
18 reported.
19
20 So I have a closer look. When I diff "Xorg.0.log" and
21 "Xorg.0.log.old" (after removing the time stamps) I find one
22 line that doesn't appear in the log of the working X.
23
24 (EE) kbd: Keyboard0: failed to set us as foreground pgrp (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
25
26 What does this mean? I estimate that "us" is the personal
27 pronoun and not a keyboard layout, and that the server tries
28 to do some chgrp on some /dev/*. I have no clue what to try
29 next.
30
31 Thanks in advance.
32