From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: flag details
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 18:29:39
1 On 11/24/2014 01:19 PM, James wrote:
2 > Jc García <jyo.garcia <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> I use
6 >> $ equery u cat/pkg
7 >> It list the useflags and what the metadata.xml of the package says
8 >> about each of them, plus highlights the active ones if you have the
9 >> package already merged.
10 >
11 > yea that helps. But the information is a terse, single phrase usually.
12 > I'm looking for something (if it exists) that is more detailed
13 > about the flag usage and issues. Maybe nothing exists? Maybe
14 > it's only avaiable reading the sources?
17 Basically. It kinda sucks. To fix it, we'd need a policy that every
18 ebuild has to properly document each of its USE flags in metadata.xml,
19 which means explaining how it actually affects the package, and not just
20 "enables libfoo." Then we'd need a repoman check to bitch at people who
21 don't do it.
22
23 Personally I'd be strongly for such a policy, even if it means every
24 package in the tree would become "in violation" overnight. This is
25 something that users could easily help with, by posting updated
26 metadata.xml on b.g.o.