From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A few questions on trying to install
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:09:15
1 Alan E. Davis schrieb:
2
3 > Now, however, I've tried three or four times to install on an existing
4 > partition. Grub will not install over the ubuntu grub, or else
5 > something else is crazy.
6
7 Why do you do this at all? Grub is already in your MBR, so why bother
8 with it again?
9
10 > May I ask a few questions?
11 >
12 > - Live CD only installs over a clean partition. How can I resume
13 > an installation?
14
15 Boot the CD again, perform the steps to mount your already created
16 filesystems (incl. bind-mount of /proc and/dev, enter chroot and start
17 with (or after) the last step you finished before.
18
19 > - I only have a unsupported atheros wifi card for connection. I've
20 > been using it for years. No easy way to connect by wire. Any ideas?
21
22 On x86 they're supported by madwifi, isn't this true for amd64?
23
24 > - I have an 80GB fast SATA drive and three slower 7000 RPM drives.
25 > What partitions are best kept on the fast drive to maximize
26 > performance (I have basically an all purpose workstation).
27
28 I don't think you'll see much difference. However, with a setup like
29 this, I would look into using LVM or EVMS logical volumes eventually
30 combined with a software RAID5 over the three slower discs (in case
31 they're equal in size.
32
33 My /home
34 > will be about 100GB: is it wiser to split it up into a smaller core
35 > /home with several slower archive and storage partitions (Library,
36 > Project archives, Videos, Music)?
37
38 I usually use one LV for each user's ~ (/home/johndoe, not /home). This
39 way, I can increase size for each user individually w/o having to setup
40 quota. I can even use different filesystems depending on users needs
41 (i.e. large media files are best kept on XFS). In addition, I can also
42 setup kernel automounter (autofs), so that they're only mounted when the
43 user is really logged in.
44
45 > - Advice about UUIDs? I lost a partition (a large one) over a
46 > misidentification of a partition when the Ubuntu scheme started
47 > swapping around names of devices. Old /dev/hda became /dev/sda and
48 > old /dev/sda became /dev/sdb. What a mess that turned out to be.
49
50 This can't happen with logical volumes, because they get a unique name
51 of the form /dev/<volume group>/<volume>.
52
53 Here's my setup:
54
55 sda1: /boot (~64M, ext2)
56
57 If you don't want to use an initramfs:
58
59 sda2: / (256M, xfs)
60 sda3: LVM (to end of disc, no fs)
61
62 If you use an initramfs:
63
64 sda2: LVM (to end of disc, no fs)
65
66 Then create LVs for everything else:
67
68 /usr: /dev/vg-machinename/usr (3G, xfs)
69 /var: /dev/vg-machinename/var (1G, xfs)
70 /opt: /dev/vg-machinename/opt (1G, xfs)
71 /home/user1: /dev/vg-machinename/user1 (1G, xfs)
72 /home/user2: /dev/vg-machinename/user2 (1G, xfs)
73 swap (if needed): /dev/vg-machinename/swap (twice the RAM)
74
75 Some Gentoo related volumes:
76 /gentoo/distfiles: /dev/vg-machinename/distfiles (2G, xfs)
77 /gentoo/build: /dev/vg-machinename/build (2G, xfs)
78 /gentoo/overlays: /dev/vg-machinename/overlays (1G, xfs) (portage tree goes
79 into /gentoo/overlays/portage)
80
81 However, in your case, I'd use the 80G disc as a system disc with one volume
82 group (system-<machinename>) and setup the three slower drives as either RAID
83 5 or JBOD, containing a second VG (data-<machinename>), where the first hosts
84 /boot, /, /usr, /var, /opt, swap and the /gentoo volumes, while the seconds
85 hosts all the /home volumes and additional data volumes (/data/music,
86 /data/photos, ...) which are shared by several users.
87
88 HTH...
89
90 Dirk