From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Saving an image as black and white
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 11:11:19
1 I've got a bunch of scans, let's assume they're text documents. And
2 they're rather big ... I want to email them.
3
4 How on earth do I convert them to TRUE b&w documents? At the moment they
5 are jpegs that weigh in at 3MB, and I guess they're using about 5 bytes
6 to store all the colour, luminance, whatever, per pixel. But actually,
7 there's only ONE BIT of information there - whether that pixel is black
8 or white.
9
10 I'm using imagemagick, but so far all my attempts to strip out the
11 surplus information have resulted in INcreasing the file size ???
12
13 So basically, how do I save an image as "one bit per pixel" like you'd
14 think you'd send to a B&W printer?
15
16 Even at 300dpi, I make that 300*300/8 ~= 10KB/in^2 or 800KB of
17 uncompressed info for a page of A4, not 3MB.
18
19 Cheers,
20 Wol