From: David Sveningsson <ext@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new cron print job...
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:52:26
1 Mark Knecht skrev:
2 > Hello,
3 > Thanks to those that helped me with the new printer thread the
4 > other day. We purchased an HP M1522nf from NewEgg. It arrived in under
5 > 24 hours and tool me less than 2 minutes to get a test page. Quite a
6 > success. Thanks!
7 >
8 > I'd now like to set up a cron job to print a small file each
9 > evening just to keep the printers rollers moving every day. I've never
10 > used cron before. It looks *fairly* straight forward but I'd like to
11 > get some verification if I might. Thanks again.
12 >
13 > 1) In /root I created a small executable file that store df -h to a
14 > file and then I print that file using lpr. I executed that file using
15 > lpr -D HP_M1522nf print_todays_info and it appears to have worked.
16 > (I'm remote but I do see a print job in the CUPS records. I'll call
17 > later to see if it's printing correctly but I suspect it is.)
18 >
19 > 2) As root I ran crontab -e. The editor (nano) came up fine.
20 >
21 > 3) I entered the following line for testing
22 >
23 > 5 * * * * /root/print_todays_info
24 >
25 > If I'm correct then I understand that this would run the job every
26 > hour 5 minutes after the hour. I'll change it to
27 >
28 > 5 1 * * * /root/print_todays_info
29 >
30 > after I've tested it a bit more to make it a 1:05AM print job.
31 >
32 > Looking in the CUPS logs on the remote machine it appears a new copy
33 > printed a 5 minutes after 9AM so I'm thinking it's set up.
34 >
35 > Does this sound about right? Anything else I should be doing?
36 >
37 > Thanks,
38 > Mark
42 The cronjob is right. You can also put your script under /etc/cron.daily
43 and you won't have to edit the crontab manually. I also prefer to make
44 sure that local mail delivery is working so cron may mail the results
45 somewhere.
50 //*David Sveningsson [eXt]*
51
52 Freelance coder | Game Development Student
53 http://sidvind.com
54
55 Thou shalt make thy program's purpose and structure clear to thy fellow
56 man by using the One True Brace Style, even if thou likest it not, for
57 thy creativity is better used in solving problems than in creating
58 beautiful new impediments to understanding.