From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Frontier ADSL modem and IP address
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 11:00:20
1 I just saw this long thread ... missed all the fun!
2
3 On Tuesday, 31 December 2019 01:25:32 GMT Dale wrote:
4 > Adam Carter wrote:
5 > > On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 11:08 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
6 > >
7 > > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
8 > > Dale wrote:
9 > > > Grant Taylor wrote:
10 > > >> On 12/30/19 1:04 PM, Dale wrote:
11 > > >>> Is there a way to find the IP for this thing?
12 > >
13 > > Its using 192.168.254.254. Since fireball is in 192.168.2.0/24
14 > > <http://192.168.2.0/24>, its on a different subnet and therefore cant
15 > > arp it.
16 > >
17 > > Try setting fireball to say 192.168.254.253/24
18 > > <http://192.168.254.253/24> then try pinging 192.168.254.254
19 >
20 > I found the offending entry. When you posted that, I was confused for a
21 > minute. When I found the setting, it hit me. My old modem is on
22 > 192.168.1.* and my router is on 192.168.2.*. I commented those out so
23 > it could grab whatever IP it wanted. It WORKED!! I could access the
24 > modem.
25
26 As was mentioned your PC has to be in the same subnet to be able to access the
27 router.
30 > I found out the name and such from the previous user. I
31 > couldn't see the password tho. Anyway, it seems this is locked to
32 > Frontier ISP. I put in the right user name/password and it wouldn't
33 > connect. It tried but no joy.
34
35 When you reset the firmware all settings are *supposed* to be wiped out.
36 However, this is a router which is controlled by the ISP via a provisioning
37 server. Either certain settings have been hardcoded in the ISP released
38 firmware, or more likely you have not reset it correctly/completely. The
39 power LED will blink red when you hold down the reset button during the boot
40 stage of the router. It's a good idea to hold the button pressed and keep it
41 depressed for up to a minute, as you power cycle it.
42
43 More options here:
44
45 https://www.mobilereset99.com/reset-netgear-b90-755025-15-router/
46
47 NOTE: When you succeed in resetting the router, its subnet/IP will change and
48 therefore you should check your PC's IP address matches the router's address
49 space.
52 > Before I bought this, it was claimed that this should work with AT&T but
53 > unless I got something wrong, it doesn't. Shame really, pretty nice
54 > modem. The screens give pretty nicely laid out info about things too.
55 >
56 > Unless someone can figure out how to make this Frontier based modem work
57 > with AT&T, I guess this is a door stop.
58
59 AT&T was issuing these routers to customers and was provisioning firmware
60 updates via their control servers. I don't know if they still do so.
61 Contacting AT&T support may get you some info on their default username/passwd
62 settings. However, I would think if you reset the router successfully without
63 it being connected to the Internet, you'll be able to login into it with
64 username=admin and blank passwd.
65
66 If AT&T have decommissioned their provisioning servers they may be able to
67 provide you with their latest firmware to flash it manually.
70 Regards,
71 Mick