From: Rumen Yotov <gentoo@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] jre question
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 08:04:27
1 On (08/01/06 02:44), C. Beamer wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I did an 'emerge --sync' tonight. One of the items on my list of
5 > updates was sun-jre-bin. Of course, the procedure is to download the
6 > binary from sun and put it in /usr/portage/distfiles.
7 >
8 > Prior to downloading, I unmerge (or thought I did), the previous
9 > installation of jre. However, after downloading the new version and
10 > checking /usr/portage/distfiles/, I discovered that there are about 3
11 > other versions of sun-jre-bin in this directory. Can these be removed?
12 > Also, despite the unmerge, there are 3 other sun-jre-bin-<version>
13 > directories in /opt. Can these also be safely removed?
14 >
15 > Regards,
16 >
17 > Colleen
18 > --
19 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
20 >
21 Hi,
22 Yes, you can (i even do it ;-) remove old package sources. The single drawback is that if
23 you need to downgrade (rarely happens) you have to download them again (i use "distclean" script).
24 Check www.gentooexperimental.org for this and other usefull scripts.
25 To your second question-just think (not sure) this are only parts of the old installs.
26 As far as you removed (emerge -C) the previous packages, this isn't a great problem.
27 Check the dirs content.
28 HTH.Rumen