From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Unusual console input problem certain keys dead
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:59:46
1 I've run into a problem I've never experienced. I'll try to describe
2 the setup first, then the phenomena:
3
4 Gateway laptop core due <whatever???>
5 gentoo 2008.0 kernel-2.6.26-r1 running in a vmware app on vista home.
6
7 Let me say here that This app has run well for sometime but left alone
8 for quite awhile. I'm not sure where the problem first occurred and
9 it appears that at least on occasion a reboot cures it... but not
10 always.
11
12 This particular time around I can't shake it with a reboot.
13
14 The phenomena:
15
16 Certain keys are dead in console mode... not sure about X since I
17 don't have it working currently. But an ssh console also sees
18 this problem.
19
20 Key `e' and `/' when pressed just do nothing whatever. I think there
21 way be a bell since I see a flash when ssh'd in from and Xterm in a X
22 session on another machine. I may not have sound enabled... not sure
23 right now.
24
25 Those two appear to be the only keys effected. Upper case E works
26 fine and the uppercase char (?) above `/' works fine.
27
28 If I press Ctrl-v and then the `e' if works... ditto for `/'.
29
30 A search on gmane with `dead' `key' as strings didn't dredge up what I
31 need. Mostly X related stuff in that search.
32
33 Anyone recognize this behavior or have a clue what might cause it?
34
35 Restart of udev and consolefont does not help.