From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 07:18:08
1 On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 06:53:14 +0200 Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 21:05:16 +0000 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 20:25:22 +0200, Gevisz wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > I switched from Ubuntu 10.04 to Gentoo just because it forced closing
8 > > > window button "x" to the upper-left corner of the window in Unity of
9 > > > Ubuntu 12.04 while I used to look for it in the upper-right corner. :)
10 > >
11 > > Wouldn't it have been easier to use the simple configuration option to
12 > > move the button back to where you expected it? Far less effort than
13 > > switching distros.
14 >
15 > No. It is not possible in Unity or, at least, it was not possible
16 > in Unity at the time when Ubuntu 12.04 was released. They really
17 > *forced* their users to accept the new place of the closing window
18 > frame button and have argued that it is more ergonomic.
19 >
20 > There was not any possibility to change the place of the closing
21 > window frame button in Unity via configuration options. Quite a
22 > lot of Ubuntu users complained about it yet in Ubuntu 10.04,
23 > where the new place of that button was a new default though
24 > it was possible to change it back via configuration options.
25 > In Unity, it was absolutely impossible.
26 >
27 > I even can agree with them that a new place of that button was
28 > logical, ergonomic and saved screen space.
29
30 Only now, I have realized that, logically, it was possible
31 to rearrange all the elements of Unity in such a way that
32 it was logical, ergonomic, saved space, and moreover kept
33 the window frame close button at its usual place, but
34 it was not possible with the Unity configuration anyway.
35
36 > It is *forcing* old users to change their habits just after upgrade
37 > from Ubuntu 10.04 LST to Ubuntu 12.04 LST make me looking for an
38 > alternative distribution. And it was the first time when I carefully
39 > looked though all the alternatives and make my choice consciously.
40 > (Before that my choice was mainly influenced by the people who
41 > helped me to install and maintain my first Linux systems: Suse
42 > at the time when it was still free :), Red Hat :(, or just advised
43 > me to try them: Alt Linux, Ubuntu.)
44 >
45 > I think that I made the right choice now and I like Gentoo
46 > distribution, though it has its own shortcomings.
47 >
48 > For example, Firefox 24.8.0 in stable Gentoo tree when outdated
49 > Ubuntu 12.04 has Firefox 33.0. (It is not that I am running for
50 > the version numbers but Google sites do not support Firefox 24.8
51 > any more.)