From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel examples supporting RAID[4,5,6,10,...]?
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 16:12:53
1 Am 05.09.2012 17:39, schrieb Mark Knecht:
2 > Hi,
3 > I'm sort of glazing over & falling asleep trying to understand the
4 > Gentoo genkernel Wiki page. This is not critical time-wise. I'm just
5 > curious about what genkernel could do in terms of creating a kernel &
6 > an initramfs for a root partition on RAID > 1 and metadata > 0.9. I've
7 > done this in the past by hand but I've tended to stay away from / on
8 > RAID > 1 simply because of the work of creating and maintaining the
9 > initramfs.
10 >
11 > If someone has a gnekernel.conf file that might be of interest I'd
12 > appreciate seeing it, along with how you run it from the command line.
13
14 This is the config I have been using on systems with / on RAID1 or RAID5
15 (metadata > 0.9). With genkernel it's pretty simple, just specify these
16 two lines:
17
18 ##########
19 # Includes mdadm/mdmon binaries in initramfs.
20 # Without sys-fs/mdadm[static] installed, this will build a static mdadm.
21 MDADM="yes"
22
23 # Specify a custom mdadm.conf.
24 # By default the ramdisk will be built *without* an mdadm.conf and will
25 auto-detect
26 # arrays during bootup. Usually, this should not be needed.
27 MDADM_CONFIG="/etc/mdadm.conf"
28 ##########
29
30 Just make sure you're mdadm.conf reflects your current raid setup. If
31 you don't set MDADM_CONFIG the initramfs should auto asseble the RAID,
32 but I have never used that. I don't trust it enough :)
33
34 Last thing you need to do is pass the domdadm kernel parameter in your
35 bootloader. With grub to you just edit /etc/default/grub
36
37 GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="domdadm"
38
39 Then regenerate your grub config.