From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI data corruption? [FIXED]
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 08:13:40
1 On Thursday, 26 September 2019 16:44:10 BST Mick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 at 15:47, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Thursday, 26 September 2019 10:16:54 BST Adam Carter wrote:
4
5 [Snip interesting stuff]
6
7 > > > I got the impression that I would be able to UEFI boot from multiple
8 > > > different devices, eg a USB drive with UEFI as well as the hard disk.
9 >
10 > I may be wrong, but I don't think this is possible (yet?). You could
11 > use a secondary bootloader, e.g. GRUB, other than the UEFI firmware to
12 > load OS kernels wherever they might be positioned on the system.
13
14 But see next:
15
16 > > Oh yes, removable devices can be booted, but not secondary, internal hard
17 > > drives. Apparently. On this system. Today.
18
19 I can boot from USB or CD drives by entering the UEFI BIOS at boot and
20 selecting the one I want to boot from - and this BIOS dates from 2014. I doubt
21 this is unusual.
22
23 > [1] https://uefi.org/specifications
24