From: Timur Aydin <ta@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Is my system (really) using nptl
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:27:37
1 Hi,
2
3 I have done many tests on my ~x86 system to confirm that it is nptl based:
4
5 - I have the nptl and nptlonly use flags in my make.conf and my system
6 is up to date.
7
8 - Running /lib/libc.so.6 shows:
9
10 ta@bonsai ~ $ /lib/libc.so.6
11 GNU C Library stable release version 2.15, by Roland McGrath et al.
12 Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
13 This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
14 There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
15 PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
16 Compiled by GNU CC version 4.5.3.
17 Compiled on a Linux 3.5.0 system on 2012-09-10.
18 Available extensions:
19 C stubs add-on version 2.1.2
20 crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
21 Gentoo patchset 21
22 GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
23 Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al
24 Support for some architectures added on, not maintained in glibc
25 core.
26 BIND-8.2.3-T5B
27 libc ABIs: UNIQUE IFUNC
28 For bug reporting instructions, please see:
29 <http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html>.
30
31 - getconf also indicates nptl:
32
33 ta@bonsai ~ $ getconf GNU_LIBPTHREAD_VERSION
34 NPTL 2.15
37 Yet, when I look at the process list, I am seeing all programs that use
38 threads having uniquey pid's for each thread. I even compiled a simple
39 program that just creates 5 threads, each sleeping forever. Again, each
40 thread had a unique pid.
41
42 I have also checked the kernel config. FUTEX support was enabled, but
43 the top level selector (EXPERT options) was not selected. I guess the
44 top level selector just exposes the FUTEX selector and doesn't really
45 affect whether it is enabled or not.
46
47 So, what I am wondering now, is my system configured for NPTL or not?
50 Timur