From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: XFCE user taking KDE for a spin
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:41:17
1 > >> > -* are masked for all archs. This is experimental beyond ~*.
2 > >> > Furthermore, you should at least specify your particular arch, like
3 > >> > x86, amd64, ppc. Many applications don't even use a -* arch so you
4 > >> > will be missing a whole bunch of stuff.
5 > >> >
6 > >> > A better way to handle this is to use the package.keywords file and
7 > >> > add to it any experimental ebuilds you want.
8 > >> >
9 > >> > man emerge will give you more information.
10 > >>
11 > >> I think he meant -* in USE and then adding some flags: for ex. USE="-*
12 > >> kde"
13 > >
14 > > That's exactly what I meant. Sorry about that.
17 > OOPS! My bad. The only negative that I can see is that there are dozens of
18 > valid use flags, many of which _could_ affect functionality. I still say,
19 > save your time, use a live cd or precompiled binaries while evaluating.
20 >
21 > OTOH, you can get the best of both worlds by using select KDE applications
22 > in XFCE. My personal combination is Enlightenment with Rox handling the
23 > panel and desktop. Then I use Kopete (IM client), Kgpg (gnupg frontend)
24 > that sit in a systray. Then khelpcenter which gives a nice view of all man
25 > and info pages. kinfocenter (sysinfo), Cervisia for cvs, and kdesu (su
26 > client). Those I use every day. However, I still keep the entire KDE
27 > system compiled. This is because I had kde on before everything else. I'm
28 > still not a big fan of the split ebuilds, and usually compile the whole
29 > suite when updates come out.
30 >
31 > KDE _is_ big though, and because of the way it stores (or Gentoo stores)
32 > .desktop and icon files, sort of breaks freedesktop.org standards. Getting
33 > a compliant menu program to accept kde apps requires a little elbow
34 > grease! I basically had to symlink lots of app stuff to my ~.local/share
35 > area.
36 >
37 > Good luck
38 >
39 > >> Peper
40
41 Wow, what a waste of time. I don't like kde at all. Anyway, the
42 xfce4 fonts are now all screwed up. They basically look really ragged
43 like they aren't anti-aliased. I haven't touched any xfce settings,
44 only kde stuff. The xfce4 settings still look like they're set
45 correctly. I do use the xfs font server and it is running. Any idea
46 how to fix this?
47
48 Also, I do like how the kde file manager previews all images. Is
49 there any way to get the xfce4 file manager (xffm) to do that?
50
51 - Grant
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list