From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] howto install gentoo without a cd-rom
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:15:16
1 On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 13:47 +0600, simply change wrote:
2 > hi!
3 >
4 > dear friends,
5 >
6 > i have an old pentium2 laptop without a cdrom. it has a 1 LAN port(I
7 > HAVE A ADSL LINE) + floppy driver. now i need to install gentoo to my
8 > lap. so can any body to help me to do this?
11 There is a howto on the gentoo documentation, and perhaps in the wiki
12 too, - search for "alternative install"
13
14 basically you need a floppy that will allow you to:
15
16 1. boot with networking going
17 2. create and mount your filesystems
18 3. download a stage file
19 4. unzip it (specifically bzip2, although if the floppy only has gzip ot
20 zip you an repack your stage file)
21 5. chroot into the new file system.
22
23 tomsrtbt seems to fall down on the chrooting.
26 > --
27 > ...
28 > "The future lies ahead."
29 > _______________________
30 > < Have you mooed today? >
31 > -----------------------
37 >
38 > Gentoo Linux 2.6.12-gentoo-r4-Adapt-v1.1#
39 --
40 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list