From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual Boot Partitions
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:28:37
1 On 02/27/2011 02:39 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 27 February 2011 18:04:26 Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >> Am 27.02.2011 17:02, schrieb Petri Rosenström:
4 >>> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 5:01 PM, dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5 >
6 >>>> First, the observations. I tried to partition my disk with fdisk the
7 >>>> way I wanted.
8 >
9 > I would recommend you use 'parted -a optimal' or gparted for this purpose (see
10 > below).
13 >>>> It had the usual Linux partitions and a partition that I
14 >>>> was going to use for Window 7. I wanted to make this an LVM2 partition,
15 >>>> but that didn't work; I guess that was too ambitious.
16 >
17 > I am not sure that you can use LVM2 for MSWindows - as far as I know they use
18 > Logical Disk Manager which it is not the same with any other sane LVM
19 > implementation - come on now, would you expect them to seek compatibility or
20 > interoperability?!!
21 >
22 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Disk_Manager
23 >
24 >>>> Then I just made
25 >>>> it an ordinary static HPFS/NTFS partition on /dev/sda5. When installing
26 >>>> Windows 7 it wouldn't install on that partition. I deleted all the
27 >>>> partitions and just installed it on the first 50Gigs of the disk.
28 >>>>
29 >>>> Second, the questions. The Windows 7 install on the first 50Gigs of the
30 >>>> disk needed to created two partitions. The first was a very small boot
31 >>>> partition that I increased to 128Megs, and the second is the rest of
32 >>>> Windows 7. Now when I boot to the livecd to partition the rest of the
33 >>>> disk for Gentoo fdisk says "Partition 1 does not end on a cylinder
34 >>>> boundary." Is this a problem? The other big question is: what do I do
35 >>>
36 >>> Dunno, it might be that win7 changed the amount of heads/sectors that
37 >>> could give that notice from fdisk. I would not be to worrified about
38 >>> it (Installing windows would be more horrifying). If you have a
39 >>> traditional hd then the worst thing I think might be that reads/writes
40 >>> would be slower.
41 >>
42 >> If I'm not mistaken, this alignment is actually a good thing. It is
43 >> related to the transition from 512 B blocks to 4 kB and also helps
44 >> alignments for SSDs. In this regard, Win 7 behaves very clever and
45 >> really much better than the old and proven Linux tools (unless you know
46 >> what you are doing and are aware of every issue). IMHO it is a real
47 >> shame that most Linux tools are still behind in this regard.
48 >
49 > Only some are.
50 >
51 > The 'parted -a optimal' or gparted will seek to align the end of a partition,
52 > but you will find that it may under/overshoot your specified size to achieve
53 > that.
54 >
55 > fdisk et al have some development to do yet.
58 >> If you think you have an HDD with 4kB blocks, ask and I can provide you
59 >> with some links on that topic.
60 >>
61 >>>> about the first partition in the partition table? It is an HPFS/NTFS
62 >>>> partition and has been toggled bootable. It also has some stuff in it
63 >>>> that looks like it's important to Windows: a BOOTSECT.BAK file, a Boot
64 >>>> directory, a System Volume Information directory, and a bootmgr file.
65 >>>> Now for my Gentoo install, how and where do I make a /boot partition?
66 >>>> Do I replace the Windows 7 boot partition with /boot? If so, what
67 >>>> happens to the contents? or Do I make a /boot partition on /dev/sda3
68 >>>> and toggle the bootable flag there?
69 >>>
70 >>> Something like that. You could install gentoo on one partition (I
71 >>> don't recommend).
72 >
73 > No! Nothing like that. Leave the MS Windows boot partition alone and flagged
74 > as boot. MS Windows needs this, while Linux does not.
77 >>> Just make partitions like you would do without windows. When you do
78 >>> the grub-install script or by hand grub links the boot to the
79 >>> partition where boot exists. You should not remove or change the
80 >>> windows partitions or the data windows will probably brake when you
81 >>> do.
82 >
83 > Yep. Create a new partition; e.g. /dev/sda3 and use that as the /boot
84 > mountpoint for your Linux OS. This is where the grub fs, Linux OS kernels and
85 > related files will be saved.
88 >> AFAIK, grub does not need the bootable flag. Leave it alone. Maybe
89 >> Windows needs it, maybe it is just for good measure, I don't know.
90 >
91 > This is correct, MS Windows needs it and it will not boot without it,
92 > especially if you retain the MSWindows MBR boot code - although you can
93 > install GRUB in the MBR and chainload MSWindows from there with it.
94 >
95 > HTH.
96
97 Thanks for all the input. It helped clear up a lot of questions. I
98 spent the weekend installing to Operating Systems and it looks like it
99 almost worked. I think the problem is in the Grub setup, so it should
100 be repairable once I find the mistake. If it's something else, I may be
101 doing this again next weekend.
102
103 Thanks again,
104