From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] security
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 13:20:27
1 Hi,
2
3 Since I'm not familiar with Gentoo's practice in dealing with
4 security problems I got curious about the following case.
5 Yesterday a Secunia advisory [1] about pidgin was brought to my
6 attention. The solution offered by the up-streams is upgrading to
7 version 2.5.6, while the latest version in portage is "~2.5.5-r1".
8
9 As I see it, there are three possibilities:
10 1) even older, the version in Gentoo is not affected, because the
11 maintainers had taken care of it (too optimistic?)
12 2) Gentoo installations are still vulnerable to the bugs described in
13 the advisory and nobody knows about it (quite disturbing)
14 3) Gentoo maintainers are working on it, but still not ready
15
16 Which one is it?
19 [1] [SA35194] http://secunia.com/advisories/35194/
23 Best regards,