From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SDD, what features to look for and what to avoid.
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 22:09:53
1 On Wednesday, 1 April 2020 22:25:08 BST Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2
3 > I’ve been using it for 5 years for a dual-boot system (2×64 G for Windows
4 > and Gentoo). By the end of last year it became slower and slower when
5 > writing. Especially eix-update became sloooow. My main suspicion is that it
6 > was quite full and there probably is no overprovisioning for wear-leveling
7 > built into the drive. So it was writing the same cells over and over when I
8 > did my world updates.
9
10 With SSDs it is important you overprovision your partition(s) in terms of
11 individual partition size so they don't fill up. I tend to always leave a
12 little empty space on an SSD device when I create partitions, which may be
13 unnecessary these days, because the OEMs tend to do the same themselves:
14
15 https://www.kingston.com/us/ssd/overprovisioning