From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync to a USB stick
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 19:23:37
1 On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 5:39 AM, Steven <apartment415@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 2:01 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> Hi All,
7 >>
8 >> I run:
9 >>
10 >>  rsync -a -l --delete -v /mnt/Business_dir /media/sdf1
11 >>
12 >> to back up a directory from a PC to a USB stick.  However, from a cursory
13 >> look
14 >> this *seems* to copy the complete directory (every time I run it) and
15 >> overwrites the USB stick.  Carrying on like this it will life-expire the
16 >> USB
17 >> stick in no time, plus it takes ages to complete as it copies over every
18 >> single file again and again.
19 >>
20 >> Is there a cleverer option I can add to rsync so that it only copies new
21 >> files, overwrites older versions of the same and only deletes any files or
22 >> directories that have been deleted from the source directory?
23 >> --
24 >> Regards,
25 >> Mick
26 >
27 > Short answer "man rsync"
28 > You'll find everything you need.
29 > It is possible to sync files incrementally with rsync I just can't remember
30 > how right now
31 > Sorry really tired right now. Im sure someone will come a long with a more
32 > appropriate answer.
35 Notably...
36 --checksum
37 --recursive
38
39 And *not* using (due to the limitations of FAT and FAT32)...
40 --archive (implies several others)
41 --perms
42 --times
43 --group