From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 12:15:48
1 On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 04:15:18 -0400,
2 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 > [1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (8bit)>]
5 > John Covici wrote:
6 > >
7 > > I am seeing a lot more unmaintained packages -- at least in the ones I
8 > > have -- than there used to be and bugs going unanswered probably
9 > > because of that. Not sure what to do about it, I don't have time to
10 > > get into doing this much, just keeping up with world updates is quite
11 > > time consuming all by itself.
15 > That may be but the packages that are most used are likely maintained
16 > and well maintained at that.  There are some old packages that haven't
17 > been updated in years, upstream is dead or no one uses them much anymore
18 > that are slowly being removed.  If one can't install them, no real point
19 > in them being in the tree.  I might add, the switch from the much older
20 > pythons are really forcing a house cleaning.  But, some packages are
21 > just out of date and something new has taken their place.  Nothing new
22 > there.  I'm sure this happens with every distro out there, even the paid
23 > ones.
24 >
25 > I follow -dev and have recently had to uninstall a package and install
26 > something else that is newer and more up to date.  I saw a message about
27 > that old package that seemed to stop working for me a good while ago.
28 > What I had still lurking about would sometimes crash and I didn't trust
29 > it.  I used to use that as a GUI to manage LVM.  I use LVM a lot here.
30 > In that message was them removing the old package and recommending a
31 > replacement I never heard of.  I installed it and it may actually be
32 > better than the old software I used to use.  While the old package may
33 > be gone, the new one seems to be more up to date, stable and appears to
34 > have a better design.  Different for sure, I'll have to learn how the
35 > GUI does its thing but could be better in the end. Since LVM has been
36 > updated a good bit in the past year or so, that old software either
37 > needed a lot of work or just use the newer software.
38 >
39 > There are a lot of packages that are just not used by enough people to
40 > maintain them anymore.  Some are being replaced with more up to date
41 > packages.  There are lots of reasons for that.  If a package you use is
42 > being removed, search -dev and look to see if there is a replacement
43 > mentioned in the last rites message.  If it was removed, they almost
44 > always include a replacement if there is one.  Sometimes another package
45 > absorbs what the old package used to do. While at times -dev can get
46 > quite busy, I'd be lost without it.  Things are mentioned there about
47 > upcoming changes that I don't see mentioned anywhere else.  That
48 > includes this list as well.  It's a great way to keep somewhat up to
49 > date on what's going on.  One doesn't have to read every post either.
50 > After a while, you can tell by the subject line if that thread will be
51 > anything you would be interested in.  Last rites, things about upgrades
52 > and such get my attention.  I generally know when something big is going
53 > to happen weeks or even months before it hits the tree.
54 >
55 > If you want to share what packages you are missing out on, I'd be glad
56 > to search my -dev archives and see if I can find something that may help.
57
58 Well, teamviewer is the worst -- teamviewer 15 won't emerge because it
59 will overwrite files belonging to the previous version (!da). Someone
60 even slotted the thing, but still no joy. I filed a bug, but no
61 response. Also, although I don't think there is a new version, but
62 sendmail seens to be unmaintained.
63 Also, ant-core -- there is a bug against that, but no fix as yet.
66 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
67 How do
68 you spend it?
69
70 John Covici wb2una