From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'buntu --> gentoo --> eeepcFIXED
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 03:32:35
1 >
2 > Does the dialup work at all. Can you ping any of the gentoo
3 > mirrors? Did
4 > mirrorselect work?
5
6 emerge mirrorselect is further down the page under "Last configuration touches". Which is a puzzlement. Before failing portage tried connecting to a long list of sites.
7 How did portage know where to look? make.conf has only the CFLAGS and CHOST lines. Nothing about where to look for files.
10 Yeah, the weird thing is I could download stuff onto the Desktop but not emerge or even wget from the chrooted environment.
11
12 So I shut everything down and rebooted. The only thing I did different this time was to neglect to set up or start ssh. Mounted the drives, chrooted and emerged gentoo-sources. Worked fine.
13
14 BTW, I followed the advice on the eeepc forum not to install a swap partition. I wonder if that is why the portage tarball took so long to unpack.
15
16 IIRC tuxonice's wifi wouldn't work so I used xubuntu, wifi starts up automaticamente on this model.
17
18 mw
22 Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!
23
24 http://www.flickr.com/gift/