From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: how to "git-bisect" in a portage-compatible way ?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:09:56
1 On 03/10/2010 03:03 AM, Nicolas Richard wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > ...
5 > So the general question is : if I want to use git-bisect (I have never
6 > done that before, but today is a good time to try),
7
8 It's a great tool and easy to use once you've learned the basic steps.
9 You can ask here if you need help with it.
10
11 > I guess it means
12 > I'll have to build libdrm outside portage : if so, once I'm finished
13 > with hunting the bug, how to go back to the situation where portage does
14 > everything for me ?
15
16 I can think of several possible ways, but here is one that "should"
17 work.
18
19 When you configure the git test package, use the "--prefix=/usr/local"
20 flag so that the test library gets installed in /usr/local/lib, and
21 /usr/local/include, etc.
22
23 Then, to test the new library, just change the /usr/lib/libdrm symlink
24 to point at /usr/local/lib/libdrm.so.whatever.
25
26 That avoids overwriting existing files, and you can just delete the files
27 in /usr/local when you finish. Also, some packages have a "make uninstall"
28 option you could use instead.
29
30 Warning: don't try this method with critical system libs like glibc.
31 Changing that symlink would break your whole system at warp speed.