From: "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] grub: how to install new version of stage 1
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 18:59:21
1 On a x86 machine I did "emerge -D -uav world" and got a response that
2 read in part as follows:
3 * Messages for package sys-boot/grub-0.97-r9:
4 *
5 * To avoid automounting and autoinstalling with /boot,
6 * just export the DONT_MOUNT_BOOT variable.
7 *
8 * *** IMPORTANT NOTE: you must run grub and install
9 * the new version's stage1 to your MBR. Until you do,
10 * stage1 and stage2 will still be the old version, but
11 * later stages will be the new version, which could
12 * cause problems such as an unbootable system.
13 * This means you must use either grub-install or perform
14 * root/setup manually! For more help, see the handbook:
15 *
16 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10#grub-install-auto
17 * To interactively install grub files to another device such as a USB
18 * stick, just run the following and specify the directory as prompted:
19 * emerge --config =grub-0.97-r9
20 * Alternately, you can export GRUB_ALT_INSTALLDIR=/path/to/use to tell
21 * grub where to install in a non-interactive way.
22
23 After reading
24 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10#grub-install-auto
25 I did "grep -v rootfs /proc/mounts > /etc/mtab". That seems to have
26 produced the needed /etc/mtab file. Now I'm confused by the part of the
27 manual with code listings 2.6 and
28 2.7 and the associated commentary.
29 The manual suggests doing "grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda"
30 but later says "If your system does not have any floppy drives, add the
31 --no-floppy option to the above command to prevent grub from probing the
32 (non-existing) floppy drives." My machine has a floppy drive. Should I
33 omit the --no-floppy option and just do "grub-install /dev/sda" ?
34
35 -John
39 John P. Burkett
40 Department of Economics