From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB stick recognition problem
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 15:49:19
1 On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 08:08 on Thursday 03 February 2011, Paul
3 > Hartman did opine thusly:
4 >
5 >> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:11 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> > On 02/02/2011 03:05 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
7 >> >> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM, walt<w41ter@×××××.com>  wrote:
8 >> >>> On 02/02/2011 07:48 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
9 >> >>>> I have a USB SD-card reader which cannot read the partition table when
10 >> >>>> first inserted into the PC.
11 >> >>>
12 >> >>> That sounds to me like a bug :)  do you see the same  on other
13 >> >>> computers?
14 >> >>
15 >> >> Yes, every computer (for several kernel versions now)
16 >> >
17 >> > Well, if an older kernel uses the card reader normally and newer kernels
18 >> > don't, then I assume a kernel bug is responsible.
19 >> >
20 >> > What *I* would do is to use git-bisect in Linus's kernel git repository
21 >> > to isolate the "bad" commit and then report it to the person who
22 >> > submitted the original bad patch to Linus.
23 >> >
24 >> > If that idea sounds weird -- I plead nolo contendere.  Yet, it gets
25 >> > kernel bugs fixed.  (Very roughly paraphrasing Galileo ;)
26 >>
27 >> I meant that I've tried it for a few kernel versions (it's not a new
28 >> card reader, it's a few years old). It has never worked properly in
29 >> Linux since I've owned it.
30 >
31 > Then the reader itself is probably horribly broken. Or has been built to
32 > comply to "whatever broken Windows is doing today"
33 >
34 > My USD card reader JustWorks(tm) everywhere with everything. And they are dirt
35 > cheap, about the price of the smallest SD card I can buy.
36 >
37 > Time for a new reader perhaps?
38
39 Of course, I have others. I was just reporting to Helmut what
40 workaround I've used in case his has a similar problem.
41
42 The misbehaving one is extremely fast when it works, compared to the
43 others I've tried. It uses the Silicon Motion SM331 chipset. It's a
44 generic no-name reader. I've seen reports that newer packages of the
45 same reader now use the SM334 chipset instead, which I imagine fixes
46 whatever problems may have been present in the older revision.
47
48 I'm generally more interested in learning why things are broken than
49 using things that are not. :)
50
51 I didn't mean to derail the original thread. Sorry about that!