From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sys-boot/plymouth could not work
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 17:21:46
1 On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:43 AM, 张春江 <zhangchunjiangrj@×××.com> wrote:
2 > Does anybody in the list have used plymouth.
3
4 I do, but I also use systemd. And GRUB2.
5
6 > I installed and configured plymouth as http://dev.gentoo.org/~aidecoe/doc/en/plymouth.xml told.
7 > my grub.conf is
8 >
9 > title Gentoo Linux
10 > root (hd0,13)
11 > kernel /boot/kernel-3.2.1-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/sda10 video=radeon:1366x768 quiet splash
12 > initrd /boot/initramfs-3.2.1-gentoo-r2.img
13
14 Seems correct.
15
16 > While I rebooting my machine, it shows "[plymouth] could not create /run/plymouth" and there is no splash.
17 > Then I created /run/plymouth directory in the initrd file system manually, but it seems that this doesn't change anything.
18 > And then I created /run/plymouth in my root file system, while this time system shows
19 > "plymouthd could not start boot splash: No such file or directory".
20
21 The /run directory should be created when installing dbus; it's a tmpfs:
22
23 # mount | grep /run
24 tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
25
26 And then it's bind-mounted in /var/run. At least that's how it happens
27 with systemd, and that's the expected behaviour. Did you created your
28 initramfs with dracut?
29
30 > I checked my Ubuntu virtual machine, which plymouth works well, there is no /run/plymouth directory in initram file system or real root file system.
31
32 My initramfs doesn't have a /run directory either:
33
34 # mkdir kk
35 # cd kk
36 # zcat /boot/initrd-3.2.12 | cpio -i
37 21514 blocks
38 # ls
39 bin dev etc init lib lib64 proc root run sbin shutdown sys
40 sysroot tmp usr var
41
42 However, inside /var, there is a symbolic link to /run:
43
44 # ls -l var
45 total 4
46 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Apr 3 12:15 lock -> /run/lock
47 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 3 12:15 log
48 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Apr 3 12:15 run -> /run
49
50 So the problem it's not the existance (or not) of the run directory, I
51 believe; it's the fact that it's mounted really early in the boot
52 process as a tmpfs. So, did you use dracut to generate your initramfs,
53 or did you use genkernel? Or you did it by hand?
54
55 Regards.
56 --
57 Canek Peláez Valdés