From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 21:11:26
1 On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 11:00:02PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 18:01 on Saturday 14 May 2011, Indi did opine
3 > thusly:
6 > > Sounds like the old "6 of one, a half-dozen of the other" to me...
7 > > What makes the subtractive method better?
8 >
9 > It's not subtractive as disabling a flag globally and enabling it when needed
10 > is the same thing negated.
11 >
12 > I'm pointing out that by their nature, most global USE flags are exactly that
13 > - intended to be global, especially those in use.desc. For the most part the
14 > user will want the support they provide to be global. When that is not the
15 > case (the lesser case), an option exists to override the global setting in
16 > package.use
17 >
18 > What you proposed is that one never use global flags and always enable/disable
19 > them package by package. That gets really tedious with flags used in many
20 > ebuilds, such as USE=gtk.
21 >
22 > Abstaction is good, leverage it to gain the benefits when it works in your
23 > favour.
26 No, I do not propose that one never use global use flags. I just employ
27 them very selectively, which is best for my needs.
30 caveat utilitor