From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is there any Gentoo User webinar ?
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 23:05:28
1 On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 04:11:17PM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > As for the original inquiry, most of us never meet each other in person,
3 > but we do swap notes on this list re Gentoo & even other Linux matters.
4 > There's a forum, but the noise/info ratio is much too high :
5 > think of the high-school cafeteria compared with the teachers' commonroom.
6 > It's a friendly place : most of us build our own machines
7 > & are prepared to put in a bit of spare time maintaining our systems.
8
9 It is a shame that many of us speak on a day-to-day basis without even knowing
10 the faces of our friends and associates. Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned,
11 thinking this way. Notwithstanding, considering the geographically distributed
12 and generally niche nature of the Gentoo community, a meet-up in even the
13 largest and most populous of cities is unlikely to yield enough participants to
14 cover the cost of the venue.
15
16 We would have to generalise the potential clientele. Perhaps a meet-up for all
17 users and developers of the various source Linux distros. I'm sure that would
18 attract some interesting characters, lol.
19
20 (Obviously, the current issues in the world would prevent any sort of meet-up
21 anyway, although some sort of physical conference could be pleasant in a few
22 years when the entire world has reverted to some description of normality.)
26 Ashley Dixon
27 suugaku.co.uk
30 DA96 D18A
31 8A7B B0D2