From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] replacement for ftp?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 02:21:35
1 Nils Freydank <nils.freydank@××××××.de> writes:
2
3 > On Sat, 30 Apr 2017 19:04:06 +0200 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
4 >> [...]
5 >> I fail to see why FTP needs to be replaced: it works, it is
6 >> supported, it is secure when used with care, it is damn fast.
7 >
8 > I’ll just drop the somewhat popular rant “FTP must die“[1] and a follow-up
9 > discussion about it[2]. IMHO the main reasons are missing data integrity and
10 > authentication security issues. The latter one can be solved with FTPS[3] - but honestly
11 > I never saw FTPS somewhere actually used in the wild.
12
13 I've done it that way because I didn't want unencrypted transfers and
14 sftp appears to be deprecated. It's working fine, and I don't want to
15 replace it unless there were a better solution.
20 > [1] http://mywiki.wooledge.org/FtpMustDie
21 > [2] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11251907
22 > [3] i.e. FTP over SSL/TLS (not to mix up with SFTP, which comes from the SSH family)
23 >
24 > Greetings,
25 > Nils
28 "Didn't work" is an error.