From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 07:14:08
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 09/01/2010 03:38 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 08/27/2010 12:49 PM, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Is there a way to boot a Gentoo/Knoppix CD and make it use the PATA
6 >>>> drivers? That way I can boot it and see exactly how it will name them
7 >>>> and what drive is what without actually changing anything at all. Is
8 >>>> there a boot option "noide" or some other switch I can use?
9 >>>
10 >>> You do the labeling *before* you switch to the new kernel. Once you
11 >>> get it working correctly with your current kernel, then you can
12 >>> upgrade to the new ATA drivers and it will just work (which is the
13 >>> whole point of this exercise.)
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> OK. Finally got updated to a new kernel. [...]
17 >>
18 >> Anyway, this did sort of work out to be weird and not what I expected at
19 >> all. I expected the drives to be laid out in this way:
20 >>
21 >> sda first drive with old ide
22 >> sdb second drive with old ide
23 >> sdc third drive with old ide
24 >> sdd forth drive with a SATA controller
25 >>
26 >> Well, it actually sees the drive connected to the SATA controller first
27 >> then the other drives follow along after that in order.
28 >
29 > I mentioned this in a reply :P Usually SATA drives go first.
30 > (Emphasis on "usually.")
31
32 I must have missed that part. Of course, I'm not surprised either. You
33 know what they say about "plans"?
37 >> Naturally when I
38 >> first tried to boot I was pointing to sda6 for my root partition. Well,
39 >> it was actually on sdb6. It did list the drives just before the error
40 >> and the blinking lights on the keyboard. No scroll back either. :-( I
41 >> saw just enough to be able to figure out what drives were what.
42 >>
43 >> Is there some way to get it to change this or am I stuck? My concern is
44 >> that I plan to add another drive to the SATA card soon and that will
45 >> move everything up another notch. I would really like the IDE drives to
46 >> be seen first since I rarely change them.
47 >
48 > What exactly is the problem you have? You can't boot? You can simply
49 > hit "Esc" in grub and go to text-only mode, and then "e" to edit the
50 > current grub boot entry. There you can boot from somewhere else.
54 I would like either the old IDE drives to come first, since I rarely
55 ever move them or grub to work with labels. I have a entry in grub.conf
56 that uses the labels but i have not rebooted yet. According to what I
57 have read it will work. The only concern is that if grub doesn't like
58 labels and I add another drive, then I got to edit the grub boot line
59 to boot and it took me a couple tries to get this right. It seeing what
60 used to be the last drive first sort of took me by surprise. I don't
61 like surprises to much.
62
63 At least I got me a new kernel and I can see the temps and fans in gkrellm.
64
65 Dale
66