From: Nick Cunningham <nick@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to start thunderbird/firefox in a different language?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 16:17:39
1 2009/1/20 <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
2
3 > Hello. I have
4 >
5 > zhangweiwu@esmeralda:~$ grep --invert-match ^# /etc/locale.gen
6 >
7 > zh_CN.UTF-8 UTF-8
8 > en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
9 > de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
12 > For most applications, I can start it in any language I wish to use.
13 > e.g. if I want to start abiword in en_US, I can do this:
14 >
15 > zhangweiwu@esmeralda:~$ LANG=en_US abiword
16 >
17 > However this method doesn't work for firefox and thunderbird. Both
18 > always starts in German (note German is the last, a.k.a. least preferred
19 > language for me, in /etc/locale.gen)
20 >
21 > I checked that I do have thunderbird installed with linguas_en_US (see
22 > below emerge output). If it is installed with that language version, it
23 > should be able to run in that language version. How can I start
24 > thunderbird in en_US?
25 >
26 > zhangweiwu@esmeralda:~$ sudo emerge -pv mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird
27 >
28 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
29 >
30 > Calculating dependencies... done!
31 > [ebuild R ] mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-2.0.0.19 USE="crypt ipv6
32 > ldap replytolist xinerama xprint -bindist -debug -gnome -mozdom -moznopango"
33 > LINGUAS="de en_US -af -be -bg -ca -cs -da -el -en -en_GB -es -es_AR -es_ES
34 > -eu -fi -fr -ga -ga_IE -he -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -mk -nb -nb_NO -nl -nn -nn_NO
35 > -pa -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -pt_PT -ru -sk -sl -sv -sv_SE -tr -uk -zh -zh_CN
36 > -zh_TW" 0 kB
37 >
38 > Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
43 Im not sure how to solve your problem, but you should know that
44 /etc/locale.gen isnt used by the system to determine what language to use,
45 its only used by glibc to provide the relevant language support within glibc
46 only.
47
48 To set system wide language preferences you need to edit your environment
49 variables using /etc/env.d/02locale, for some useful info see this guide:
50 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml
51
52 It may not fix your problem but it should help you at least ensure your
53 system is setup correctly for the languages you want to use.
54
55 - Nick