From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problems with ancient ATI graphics card
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 10:08:08
1 Hi,
2
3 this is a bit off topic, since it primarily concerns a laptop running
4 OpenSuSe 11.3, but I do need your help and I known there are experts
5 here.
6
7 This old laptop has a
8 radeon RV350 (mobility Radeon 9600 M10) graphics card.
9
10 There is an xf86-video-ati driver installed.
11
12 Now, when booting with the (default) radeon.modeset=1
13 the graphics is dead slow (not only for glxgears : 200 frame/s but for
14 my OpenGL application (Impressive), as well).
15
16 Now, when I replace the option on the kernel command line to
17 radeon.modeset=0
18 glxgears is much faster ( about 1800 frames/s )
19 BUT my OpenGL application (python gtk + opengl)
20 now freezes the whole machine - only power on/off can revive
21 it.
22
23 Hopefully, someone has an idea on what is going wrong here.
24
25 (The hardware is too old for a recent ATI closed source driver
26 supporting a recent kernel 2.6.34.x)
27
28 Many thanks for your help which is very much appreciated.
29 Helmut.