From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2.6.31 vfat driver broken?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:06:53
1 On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 11:17:38PM +0100, Penguin Lover Frank Steinmetzger squawked:
2 > I use FAT32 on my external HDDs to make it easier to share with other people
3 > and OSes. Never had a problem before, but now I do. Lately, when I save
4 > videos to my disks, and play them back after the file system cache is
5 > emptied, they have completely different content (of files that are long
6 > deleted).
7
8 Please describe in more detail what you actually did. Did you
9 read/write the files in linux? Both under 2.6.31? A step-by-step maybe
10 appreciated.
13 > I just had the magnificent idea to look into the syslog and found loads of
14 > "kernel: bio too big device sdb (248 > 240)"
15 >
16 > I heard romours of problems with the current FAT implementation due to M$. I
17 > went back to 2.6.30 for the moment. So what???s your proposal? Usually I don???t
18 > have the need for ??bercurrent kernels, but would installing 2.6.32 help?
19
20 Did you file a bug? Where did you hear this "rumour"?
21
22 I don't see any significant changes to the VFAT driver in 2.6.31, and
23 since (I infer from your message) that downgrading to 2.6.30 is okay,
24 I doubt that is the issue.
25
26 You are not running any sort of LVM, RAID, or encryption, are you?
27 A similar bug seems to have occured in device mapper, where dm gave
28 the underlying fs the wrong values for max_hw_sector.
29
30 I am somehow more leaning toward the problem being in the usb
31 subsystem.
32
33 When you plug-in your device, what does
34 /sys/block/sdb/queue/max_hw_sectors_kb say?
35
36 (I'm afraid I am not actually a kernel dev... but I hope I am asking
37 the right question so someone who actually knows what is going on can
38 help you.)
39
40 Cheers,
41
42 W
43 --
44 I am a nobody
45 Nobody is perfect
46 Therefore, I am perfect.
47 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1098 days, 9:14