From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xorg dropping keyboard events?
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:48:20
1 On 29 Jun, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > After recent updates Xorg on several of my machines have
3 > started dropping keyboard events. Sometimes it's a keydown
4 > event -- in which case the keystroke is ignored. Sometimes
5 > it's a keyup event -- in which case the key repeats
6 > indefinitely until another key is pressed.
7 >
8 > It _seems_ to happen more when the CPU is busy, but I can't get
9 > it to happen predictably. It stated on all of my machines
10 > within the last week or two. They don't all get updated at the
11 > same time, but it seems to have started on each one after a
12 > recent udpate.
13 >
14 > I haven't been able to find anything that seems relevent in
15 > bugzilla.
16 >
17 > Has anybody else seen this problem pop up recently?
20 Yes and No,
21
22 I had similar problems but completely deterministic.
23 When the keyboard is handled by hal it produces different keycodes then
24 before.
25
26 In my case the PgDn key now generates a code which was previously
27 generated by the key right to the right Windows key.
28 And in my .Xmodmap I had this code defined as Mode_switch which
29 made the key "dead" in my editor.
30 Try using xev to see which codes are generated by the keys which
31 cause you problems. Then look at all places where X11 key codes are
32 redefined i.e. xmodmap is called.
33
34 Helmut.
37 Helmut Jarausch