From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Strange portage behaviour
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2020 11:45:33
1 Afternoon all,
2
3 On one box here, I use the same packages and distfiles directories on both the
4 main system and a second, small rescue system (the latter is an alternative
5 boot). The rescue system has the same profile and most of the same USE flags as
6 its bigger brother, so the packages should be usable directly. The exceptions
7 relate only to apps that are installed in the main system but not the rescue.
8
9 The two systems have their packages defined in sets: @core, @base and, in the
10 main system, @apps. The world files are empty. I keep the rescue system up to
11 date by mounting it in a chroot on the main system.
12
13 Now, when I chroot into the rescue system and 'emerge -uaDvNk @core @base',
14 portage reports that it can't use the postfix package because of different USE
15 flags, but it does the update I've asked for. Postfix is in @apps in the main
16 system, but it's not installed in the rescue system.
17
18 Moreover, if I specify -K instead of -k to emerge, it proposes to install
19 every package that's present in $PKGDIR.
20
21 What can I do about this? Is it expected behaviour?
22
23 Or, is there a way to specify 'all installed category/packages that have
24 usable binary packages'? At present, 'installed' is being ignored.
27 Regards,
28 Peter.