From: Denis <denis.che@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] should dual-core Pentium Processor Extreme Edition be recognized as two processors or one?
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 16:13:24
1 I'm setting up a fresh Gentoo box, which is based on a Pentium
2 Processor Extreme Edition 840 (Smithfield = 2 Prescott cores) mounted
3 on an Intel D955XBK board - it's that expensive dual-core deal with
4 hyperthreading enabled.
5
6 I am still working on the basic set-up for Gentoo, such as customizing
7 USE flags, and haven't set up X or any desktops yet. I configured and
8 compiled the latest gentoo-sources kernel - 2.6.20-gentoo-r8, and
9 booted from it. Seems to run with no error messages or warnings.
10
11 But when I load "top", it only lists stats about one processor.
12
13 I thought that dual-core processors would appear as two processors in
14 Linux, or 4 with hyperthreading enabled. When I set up the kernel, I
15 did compile in the SMP support, enhanced RTC, and chose Pentium 4 in
16 processor family, among other things. I'm attaching my current
17 .config file in case there's something I missed.
18
19 So would it be normal for a 2.6 kernel to recognize dual-core
20 processors as "one" processor the way it appears currently in "top",
21 or should they appear as two and I did something wrong in configuring?
22
23 Thanks,
24 Denis

.config application/octet-stream