From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Laptop wifi find more than external antenna
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 18:49:20
1 On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I travel with a USB wifi dongle and one of these directional antennas:
4 >
5 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164110
6 >
7 > Lately I've noticed there are some APs that my laptop's internal wifi
8 > connects to perfectly, but the external antenna can't find whatsoever,
9 > even after a lot of directional experimentation. I've tried 2
10 > different USB dongles with the same result. Has anyone had a similar
11 > experience? I'm baffled because the external antenna is able to make
12 > strong connections to some APs, but it can't even find others that the
13 > laptop's internal card finds and connects to no problem.
17 Maybe the USB dongle doesn't support as many bands as the internal WiFi? eg.
18 Dongle is B/G only, while internal is A/B/G?
21 -James