From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Curious pattern in log files from ssh...
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:19:12
1 On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Steve <Gentoo_sjh@×××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > I've recently discovered a curious pattern emerging in my system log
3 > with failed login attempts via ssh.
4 >
5 > Previously, I noticed dictionary attacks launched - which were easy to
6 > detect... and I've a process to block the IP address of any host that
7 > repeatedly fails to authenticate.
8 >
9 > What I see now is quite different... I'm seeing a dictionary attack
10 > originating from a wide range of IP addresses - testing user-names in
11 > sequence... it has been in progress since 22nd November 2008 and has
12 > tried 7195 user names in alphabetical order from 521 distinct hosts -
13 > with no successive two attempts from the same host.
14
15 This has been going on all year, you're lucky if you just started
16 getting it. :)
17
18 AFAIK nobody has found any specific fingerprint or anything to block
19 it by. The "solution" seems to be: only allow SSH from specific IP
20 addresses, don't use port 22, don't use password auth, use some kind
21 of portknocking, etc. as you already alluded to. If you Google for
22 distributed ssh brute force attacks, there are some fairly detailed
23 articles out there from earlier in the year.
24
25 Good luck :)
26
27 Paul