From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with "make oldconfig" 2.6.30-8 ==> 2.6.31
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:55:55
1 On 10 March 2010 01:36, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >  Today is when running a lilo menu with "production" and "experimental"
3 > kernels saved me.  "production" is 2.6.30-r8.  "experimental" is
4 > 2.6.31-r6 or 2.6.31-r10 (same problems with either one).  I set
5 > /usr/src/linux to point at 2.6.31-r6 (or 10), copied .config from
6 > 2.6.30-r8 and ran "make oldconfig".  I got the warnings listed below
7 > before the config process started.  "make oldconfig" appears to have
8 > reset to default values, and it was showing me some settings totally the
9 > opposite of what I know I've set.  When I ran through "make oldconfig",
10 > compiled and rebooted, I got a framebuffer console, which I *KNOW* I
11 > haven't selected.
12
13 If you had not enabled framebuffer in your old kernel then I can't
14 think how it would show up as enabled in your new kernel (as far as I
15 know fb is not enabled by default on any kernels that I've ever built)
16
17 > And there was a kernel panic because gentoo couldn't
18 > find the boot device.
19
20 Hmm ... so it's not just framebuffer but different filesystems perhaps?
21
22 >  I'm enough of a bit-twiddler that I can set up the kernel manually.
23 > But I know from past experience that it's a long slow process.  Is
24 > there any trick to salvage "make oldconfig", before I resort to setting
25 > up the kernel "the hard way"?  Here's the output from "make oldconfig"
26 > up to where it starts asking questions...
27
28 The errors you show are not show stoppers (or the new kernel would not
29 build). You may want to update your gcc and then check using
30 gcc-config that the latest is being used.
31
32 With regards to your kernel panic I suspect an error in the .config
33 file you copied over. Do you keep a copy both in
34 /usr/src/linux-gentoo-XXX/ and in /boot? If yes then copy over your
35 .config from a different location this time, otherwise you'll have to
36 go about it through the manual method.
37
38 PS. Just checking the obvious: you aren't manually patching your
39 kernels and forgot to do it this time, right?
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick