From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update brings no recognition of tty hence no login
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 01:48:28
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > After updating today (from only a few days ago) I'm getting a
3 > situation that makes it impossible to login.
4 >
5 > unable to determine your tty name
6 >
7 > The login prompt is there but after typing in the name and hitting
8 > enter I only get the above comment.
9 >
10 > Googling on this I find a gentoo bug (245370) Dec 13 that looks like
11 > it is similar.. but the fix mentioned there... backing up to an earlier
12 > version of ncurses (5.6-r2) did not clear my problem.
13 >
14 > It may actually be a different bug since I don't see some of the the
15 > other stuff mentioned in that thread.
16 >
17 > I haven't ran revdep-rebuild yet... that was my next move but had to
18 > go to a different part of town where I can't really access that
19 > machine.
20 >
21 > Does anyone recognize this problem without further diagnostics? If
22 > not then I will be back to the problem machine later tonight and
23 > supply more information. Ideas about what info would be most useful
24 > would be appreciate
25 What packages did you update? It sounds like a udev problem, although
26 I'm admittedly grasping at straws. Knowing what packages you updated
27 will really help.