From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is KDE part of the system set?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 14:10:54
1 On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > Not to long ago, there was only a 150 or so
4 > packages for system regardless of the USE flags.
5
6 I think that you are just mistaken about this point. I have pretty
7 much always been able to make @system package count blow up by turning
8 on lots of flags.
9
10 As I say, my server has >350 packages in @system including X and gnome
11 stuff because of flags. The KDE laptop I just did for my mom has
12 around 190, no X, no gnome, etc.
13
14 It's all in the flag choices.
15
16 But why worry? In the old days I did worry because the machines were
17 slower and I couldn't do an @world update very often. Today on a
18 modern processor I can rebuild @world with 900 packages in a few
19 hours. It's not as big a deal anymore (to me anyway) that @system
20 seems a little bloated. It's not bloated when you build a new system.
21 It's only after you start making flag choices that it happens.
22
23 - Mark