From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:51:14
1 On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:07:33 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 > > What happens to files that are installed to /bin, /sbin or /lib by
4 > > default?
5 >
6 > Aren't they getting shoved into /usr? I thought that was the whole
7 > point of the excercise.
8
9 That /may/ happen at some time, but not now, so we need a solution that
10 supports the current mish-mash of /*/*bin directories.
11
12 > > Where do kernel modules go?
13 >
14 > I hadn't actually thought of that - I've never built a kernel with
15 > modules enabled. Where do kernel modules go? Won't they be going into
16 > /usr somewhere?
17
18 How will you mount /usr if it needs a module? This is the sort of chicken
19 and egg situation that an initramfs can avoid, by making sure everything
20 the boot process needs is available.
21
22 > > When an initramfs fails to boot, it drops you to a busybox shell, ...
23 >
24 > You know, that cheers me up a lot.
25 >
26 > > ...although I also have a SystemRescueCD ISO in /boot for such
27 > > situations.
28 >
29 > I suppose I could do with that, too. And I should learn how to use it.
30
31 Since someone has already asked about this off-list, the method is
32 described on sysrescd.org and involves a GRUB menu entry like
33
34 echo "Adding: System Rescue CD"
35 menuentry "System Rescue CD" {
36 set sysresiso=/systemrescuecd-x86-2.5.1.iso
37 loopback loop $sysresiso
38 linux (loop)/isolinux/rescue64 rootpass=whatever setkmap=uk isoloop=$sysresiso
39 initrd (loop)/isolinux/initram.igz
40 }
44 Neil Bothwick
45
46 IMPORTANT: The entire physical universe, including this message, may
47 one day collapse back into an infinitesimally small space. Should
48 another universe subsequently re-emerge, the existence of this message
49 in that universe cannot be guaranteed.