From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ati or Nvida
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:16:58
1 On 17 Jun 2008, at 17:18, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > ...
3 > if you want to make a political statement: buy ATI
4 >
5 > if you want to use the card with almost no problems and good
6 > performance: buy
7 > nvidia.
8
9 This comparison seems to rather neglect Intel.
10
11 Sure, they come a third place in pure performance terms, but
12 performance means nothing if you can't take advantage of it. Intel
13 have been releasing open-source drivers for their GPUs for some time
14 now - 2 or 3 years? They maintain them and contribute to other OSS
15 projects like X.org.
16
17 IMO Intel deserve our thanks for this for more than ATi or nVidia,
18 and since I tend to buy hardware with the intent of still being able
19 to use it in 5 years' time, their graphics chipsets are also a
20 practical choice for me, too.
21
22 Stroller.
25 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list