From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xterms --featureRICH --suggestions?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 01:27:51
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > you know - I don't give a rat's ass about 'pig' or not, because:
4 > I have enough ram. Ram is cheap. 16gb of DDR 1600 ECC costs what? 160€?
5 > Cheap.
6
7 What kind of argument is this?
8 I do not consider it cheap to spend 160 bucks only to waste them
9 for nothing. *If* I should spend 160 bucks for ram, then I would
10 want to use this ram for: calculations, image manipulation, many
11 parallel tasks, or whatever have been my reasons to spend 160 bucks.
12 Certainly not for wasting it to unnecessary bloat: This would mean
13 to spend 160 buck to get ... eehmm ... what? An even slower system?
14
15 > 11GB used.
16
17 Great. What a pointless waste.
18 My laptop has 512MB, my "small" PC 1GB, and my "large" PC 2GB.
19 Especially the large one is reasonably fast (with a sane windows manager)
20 and is used for all tasks a desktop is typically used for - including
21 a *lot* of multimedia, firefox, emacs, tex, gcc; usually several instances
22 of all these in parallel.
23 Only in *very* rare situations ram gets low, so I do not really feel
24 any restriction due to 2GB "only".