From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shutdown Issues
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:45:10
1 E. Pereira schreef:
2 > During the shutdown Gentoo brings down my eth0
3 > connection, but my computer is connected to a router
4 > that uses xDSL for connection, so my questions is:
5 > Can I remove this, this way I won't have to reconnect
6 > my xDSL connection? Or this shouldn't interfer in my
7 > connection I I'm having to reconnect for other
8 > reasons?
9 >
10 > Thanks,
11 > e. pereira
14 I'm no network guru (by a long shot), but afaik, and ime (my PC is
15 connected to a router with inbuilt modem), shutting down one PC should
16 not affect the connection for others, because 1) DSL is "always on", and
17 2) your router should be directly connected to the DSL modem, thus
18 unless your PC is turning the modem or the router off somehow (either of
19 which would break the connection), the router should be able to ...
20 route... the Internet connection for the other PCs on the network to the
21 modem. Bringing down eth0 (turning off your PC), should just remove you
22 from the network. That's the whole point of having a router (at least
23 for me; it was driving me nuts that I had no connection whenever my
24 Windows-using bf had to reboot for whatever reason, when we were stuck
25 with software routing through his PC. Now he can have all the BSODs he
26 can stand, and I just continue surfing/emerging/emailing happily,
27 because the routing is handled by a separate piece of hardware that is
28 not affected by the status of our individual PCs).
29
30 Is this a recent problem, or has it "always" been like this? Is this a
31 new setup (new equipment, change of ISP/level of membership/type of
32 membership), or has nothing changed recently?
33
34 HTH,
35 Holly
36 --